Summer Intermediate Arts: Emerging Leadership
The secret of life is in Art.
- Oscar Wilde
Our Summer Intermediate Arts: Emerging Leadership course at OELC has a unique focus of developing students’ leadership skills through an exploration of the arts. The ideal candidate is not necessarily a student who is a ‘master musician, actor, artist, dancer or writer’ but one who has an interest in the arts and in particular, a student with leadership potential who is willing to learn about themselves, about others and how to apply their skills in their school and/or community. The emphasis of this program will be on the development of leadership skills through the following five disciplines: music, dance, drama, visual arts, and creative writing, with a specific focus on social justice themes. A series of challenging activities have been planned to help each student learn more about him/herself, other students, and their place in the global community. It is expected that each student will identify ways in which the program teachings may be of particular use in their individual schools and lives.
- Through a series of unique activities, students explore different leadership styles and how each complements the success of a team
- Students work to identify strengths of others and how to cooperatively support each others’ learning journey
Trust and Team Building
- Students focus on building trust with each other as they complete cooperative activities where they are presented with specific team challenges
- Students learn how to apply their leadership skills in their chosen art form (music, drama, dance, visual arts or creative writing) by addressing social justice issues
Yours to Discover
- Students engage in counsellor-led arts-based activities that explore and develop their talents in the arts
The Art and Soul Project
- Students select a social justice issue of interest and collaboratively create an impactful P.S.A. using multi-media and technology
- Full Understanding Not Necessary activities, a wide variety of fun activities led by our Leader Counsellors most afternoons and include physical education, swimming, arts, and fun!
The Amazing Race
- A series of theme based cooperative games led by our Leader Counsellors as a mid-week special event
- Through a wide variety of arts-based evening activities, leaders have the opportunity to apply their leadership skills, and to showcase their talents for others
7 Days / 6 Nights
by Apr 1
$665.00 + HST = $751.45
After Apr 1
$715.00 + HST = $807.95
$39.00 + HST = $44.07
Register and pay for this course online
If you are unable to register online or require registration assistance call (705) 689-5572.
Things you will need to complete your online registration
To register online, you'll need your school and board information, the name of the teacher or principal who nominated/supported your attendance and their e-mail, and a Visa or MasterCard.
See Registration Details
When registering for a course, please be aware of the following:
- Some of our courses fill up very quickly - students will be accepted on a first come, first accepted basis. Please get your forms and payment in as soon as possible to ensure attendance.
- OELC reserves the right to cancel or reschedule any course.
- If an aid is required for a student, the aid must be provided by the sponsoring school or family.
- If a $99.00 uniform fee applies, the student will receive 1 sweatshirt, 2 t-shirts, 2 shorts and 1 tournament top. Courses with a $39.00 uniform fee will receive 2 OELC t-shirts. These uniform fees also include a course photo, OELC lanyard, folder and OELC crest.
- Both the program and the uniform fee are due at the time of registration. You can pay online by credit card, Visa debit, by e-transfer to firstname.lastname@example.org or by cheque.
- Travel subsidies may be allowed for people traveling by plane from or beyond Timmins, Sault Ste. Marie and Thunder Bay (Northern Ontario). More details concerning travel arrangements will be forwarded in the acceptance letter.
- Once the registration form has been received, an acceptance/information package will be e-mailed.
- A $75.00 administration fee will be charged for any cancellation. There will be no refund of fees for cancellations received within 14 days of the commencement of the course. Special or unexpected situations may be considered.
- Because the goal of OELC is to have full representation from all parts of the province, OELC reserves the right to restrict numbers of students applying from one school
- Alcohol, drugs, vaping and smoking are prohibited while on site
- OELC is a 100% nut-free facility. No nut products (or products that may contain nuts) are permitted on site
- Please note that our early bird pricing has been extended to May 1st.