Intermediate Arts: Emerging Leadership
The secret of life is in Art.
- Oscar Wilde
Our Intermediate Arts: Emerging Leadership course at OELC has a unique focus of developing students’ leadership skills through an exploration of the arts. The ideal candidate is not necessarily a student who is a ‘master musician, actor, artist, or dancer’ but one who has an interest in the arts and in particular, a student with leadership potential who is willing to learn about themselves, about others and how to apply their skills in their school and/or community. The emphasis of this program will be on the development of leadership skills through the following five disciplines: music, dance, drama, creative writing and visual arts. A series of challenging activities have been planned to help each student learn more about him/herself and the other students. It is expected that each student will identify ways in which the program teachings may be of particular use in their individual schools.
- Students discover their own personal style of leadership through a series of activities
- Students learn about the leadership styles of others in their team and how to best work together and cooperate
- Students learn how to develop trust in their section team
- Students learn through many cooperative activities, how to work as a team with others when faced with challenges
- Students learn how to make effective change in their schools and communities using their leadership skills
- Students learn how to apply their leadership skills in their chosen art form, (music, drama, dance, creative writing or visual arts)
- Students experience each art form, (music, drama, dance, creative writing or visual arts)
- All leaders and facilitators at the course come together once a day to learn inspirational songs which further embed their leadership skills
- Through a wide variety of arts-based evening activities, leaders have the opportunity to apply their leadership skills, and to showcase their talents to others
- Full Understanding Not Necessary activities are led by our Leader Counsellors each afternoon
- Leaders have a variety of physical activities to choose from each afternoon
- A series of theme based cooperative games titled Totally Nutty Teamwork is led by our Leader Counsellors for the entire week
Choice Activity Night
- There is one evening during the course where leaders may choose from a wide variety of activities such as karaoke, craft making, board games, and cartooning
7 Days / 6 Nights
by Apr 1
$548.67 + HST = $620.00
After Apr 1
$592.92 + HST = $670.00
$39.82 + HST = $45.00
Register and pay for this course online
If you are unable to register online or require registration assistance call (705) 689-5572.
Things you will need to complete your online registration
To register online, you'll need your school and board information, a completed student support form (in PDF or JPG format) signed by a Teacher or Principal, and a Visa or MasterCard.
See Registration Details
When registering for a course, please be aware of the following:
- Some of our courses fill up very quickly - students will be accepted on a first come, first accepted basis. Please get your forms and payment in as soon as possible to ensure attendance.
- OELC reserves the right to cancel or reschedule any course.
- If an aid is required for a student, the aid must be provided by the sponsoring school.
- If a $113.00 (taxes incl.) uniform fee applies, the student will receive 1 sweatshirt, 2 t-shirts, 2 shorts and 1 tournament top. Courses with a $45.00 (taxes incl.) uniform fee will receive 2 OELC t-shirts. These uniform fees also include a course photo, OELC lanyard, folder and OELC crest.
- Both the program and the uniform fee are due at the time of registration. You can pay online by credit card or Visa debit, or contact OELC at 705-689-5572 to pay by Debit/ E-transfer, or cheque.
- The student support form must have either the teacher’s or the principal’s signature.
- Travel subsidies may be allowed for people traveling by plane from or beyond Timmins, Sault Ste. Marie and Thunder Bay (Northern Ontario). More details concerning travel arrangements will be forwarded in the acceptance letter.
- Once the registration form has been received, an acceptance/information package will be e-mailed or mailed to your home.
- A $75.00 administration fee will be charged for any cancellation. There will be no refund of fees for cancellations received within 14 days of the commencement of the course. Special or unexpected situations may be considered.
- Because the goal of OELC is to have full representation from all parts of the province, OELC reserves the right to restrict numbers of students applying from one school
- Alcohol, drugs and smoking are prohibited while on site
- OELC is a 100% nut-free facility. No nut products (or products that may contain nuts) are permitted on site