Intermediate Youth Leadership
Starting Local – Going Global
Our Intermediate Youth Leadership course (formerly Intermediate School Leadership) is focused on developing students’ leadership qualities and skills. The ideal candidate is someone who enjoys working in large groups but also reflecting individually. Regardless of where a student is on their leadership development journey, they can find relevance in the supports in this course. From students taking their first leadership step, to students starting a climb up a mountain, we have leadership pathways for all. The emphasis of this course is on the development of leadership qualities and skills through a series of leadership development sessions, workshops and both large and small group activities, to name a few. Our hope is that students leave feeling more comfortable using their leadership skills in their classrooms, school and communities.
- Students are presented with different aspects of leadership and given the opportunity to discover their own personal style of leadership through a series of activities
- A large portion of the leadership development sessions revolve around emotional intelligence (EI). Students are provided with opportunities, activities and tools to support their EI development and personal reflection, all of which can be taken back to their classrooms, schools and communities.
- This course also helps support students with their operational management skills. Students will prepare and run a community service event that addresses a current event/topic in their school or community.
- On the last day students invite their parent/guardian to participate in a short recap of one of the leadership development activities they participated in during the course.
- Our Teacher Facilitators create diverse, inclusive, activity-based workshops that build and enhance student leadership qualities and skills such as collaborative problem-solving, communication, inclusion, goal setting and conflict resolution.
- Students will select a number of workshops based on their interest. Topics include:
- Right to Play
- Dance Tableaus
- Talkin’ Rhythms
- The Voice
- The Wall
- Crack the Code
- Flight 999
- Knot Me
- It is our hope that students will share their workshop experiences with not only their cabin mates, but also teachers and students back at their home schools
- Students are exposed to different situations where building trust is needed for a successful team outcome. Many of these activities are done in our low ropes course.
- Students are engaged in learning about team dynamics and team building through many cooperative activities.
Round Table Discussions
- Students are given the opportunity to put forth topics that their peer group would like to discuss. With the support of our Youth Facilitators, students are given the chance to have authentic discussions related to these topics.
- Full Understanding Not Necessary
7 Days / 6 Nights
by Apr 1
$665.00 + HST = $751.45
After Apr 1
$715.00 + HST = $807.95
$39.00 + HST = $44.07
Register and pay for this course online
If you are unable to register online or require registration assistance call (705) 689-5572.
Things you will need to complete your online registration
To register online, you'll need your school and board information, the name of the teacher or principal who nominated/supported your attendance and their e-mail, and a Visa or MasterCard.
See Registration Details
When registering for a course, please be aware of the following:
- Some of our courses fill up very quickly - students will be accepted on a first come, first accepted basis. Please get your forms and payment in as soon as possible to ensure attendance.
- OELC reserves the right to cancel or reschedule any course.
- If an aid is required for a student, the aid must be provided by the sponsoring school or family.
- If a $99.00 uniform fee applies, the student will receive 1 sweatshirt, 2 t-shirts, 2 shorts and 1 tournament top. Courses with a $39.00 uniform fee will receive 2 OELC t-shirts. These uniform fees also include a course photo, OELC lanyard, folder and OELC crest.
- Both the program and the uniform fee are due at the time of registration. You can pay online by credit card, Visa debit, by e-transfer to firstname.lastname@example.org or by cheque.
- Travel subsidies may be allowed for people traveling by plane from or beyond Timmins, Sault Ste. Marie and Thunder Bay (Northern Ontario). More details concerning travel arrangements will be forwarded in the acceptance letter.
- Once the registration form has been received, an acceptance/information package will be e-mailed.
- A $75.00 administration fee will be charged for any cancellation. There will be no refund of fees for cancellations received within 14 days of the commencement of the course. Special or unexpected situations may be considered.
- Because the goal of OELC is to have full representation from all parts of the province, OELC reserves the right to restrict numbers of students applying from one school
- Alcohol, drugs, vaping and smoking are prohibited while on site
- OELC is a 100% nut-free facility. No nut products (or products that may contain nuts) are permitted on site